University Fees and Student Finance


One reason why many potential students fail to go to university is that they believe they can’t afford it. However, you do not have to pay for your education out of your own pocket. 

The UK government provides funding in the form of two student loans. One to cover the cost of your tuition fees, and the other to pay for your maintenance expenses, while you are studying. You will only have to pay these two loans back once you finish your course and you can afford to make the repayments.

This page explains more about tuition and maintenance loans, including the amount you can receive, the eligibility criteria and the process for applying. 

We understand that applying for finance may be worrying or confusing, so we provide advice to help you make a successful application. If you have any questions that are not answered on this page, please get in touch. We are very happy to advise you. 


Tuition Fees Normally Cover

Tuition fees are charged by universities, and colleges to cover key elements of your course and academic life, as well as core services related to students’ wellbeing and experience on campus. Tuition fee loans, to cover the full cost of your course, are paid directly to the course provider. Importantly, you won’t have to pay it back until after your course, when you’re earning above a certain level.

Living at home Living on campus
Books and supplies
Living expenses
Personal expenses
Transportation costs
Home Students Full- Time Tuition
Home Students Part-Time Tuition

What Financial Help Can You Get?

Student loans can include a tuition fee loan and a maintenance loan to help with your living costs. 

Tuition fee loans, to cover the full cost of your course, are paid directly to the course provider, and you won’t have to pay it back until after your course, when you’re earning above a certain level.

Maintenance loans are available to help with some of your living costs at university, e.g. accommodation, transport, food, and books. It’s unlikely this will cover all of your living costs, in which case, it’s up to you make up the shortfall.

Maintenance loans can be applied for at the same time, this means you will be able to receive money at the start of each term. Whatever maintenance support you receive will be paid to you in instalments, at the beginning of  every term. Depending on where you live, and who you live with, undergraduates can get up to £13,022 every year for their studies.

Maintenance Loan Eligibility

How much you get is determined on a sliding scale, based on:


1) Where you’re studying – students studying away from home in London receive more to account for the higher cost of living here, and compared to those living at home.


2) Your household income – students from lower income backgrounds are eligible for more – this is called ‘means-tested’ finance, and requires your parents/guardians to provide evidence of their income.


In some countries, maintenance loans are combined with non-repayable grants, with your household income deciding the ratio of loan-to-grant you get, i.e. students from lower income households receive higher grants and thus less in maintenance loans which they have to pay back.


How to Apply for Student Loan?

Student finance usually consists of a Tuition Fee Loan, and a Maintenance Loan to cover – or at least partially help with – your university costs.

All full-time undergraduate students are eligible for student finance, provided they meet some basic criteria.

When we handle your university application and you will also get free advice on applying for your student loan as well. We will be more than happy to answer any questions about the process, and confirm your eligibility, 

Popular courses in the UK

Tuition Fee and Maintenance

Both Tuition Fee Loans and Maintenance Loans must be paid back once you graduate and you’re earning above a minimum salary. Repayment systems vary from country to country. You have to apply for student finance for each year of your course – not just your first year. This is to guarantee you get the support you’re entitled to throughout your studies.

Application Process

You must apply to the student finance body in your country, as well as notify them of any changes to your circumstances, e.g. you leave, or change your course. It can take up to six weeks to process student finance applications. Make sure you apply early – even if you have a conditional offer – as you can amend or cancel your application if your plans change.



You’re a UK national or have pre-settled or settled status. You must have been living in the UK for the past 3 years and be a resident on the first day of the first academic year of the course.


Your University or College

You’re studying a recognised full-time or part-time course e.g. a first degree, a foundation degree, a Higher National Diploma (HND), or an initial Teacher Training course. 


It's Your First Higher Education Course

You can get full funding for your first degree. But if you’ve studied an HE course before, you can get a contribution to the full cost, and you’ll have to make up any shortfall.


Your Course

You’re studying at a recognised publicly-funded university or college. The course must lead to: a degree. Foundation, or a BSc or BA, with or without Honours) a Diploma of Higher Education.

How Much Maintenance loan could you get?

Student loans: a guide to terms and conditions 2023 to 2024

Student Loans Company (SLC)


We offer a wide range of academic courses. Popular academic courses available include Business Management; Accounting and Finance; and Criminology and Psychology.
Yes. University courses are held on two or three days a week usually, which means you can work full time around the course.
Courses take place on just two or three days a week, usually. The precise days will vary depending on the particular course. To find out on which days your course will take place, please get in touch.
All of our preparatory work for acceptance to any academic institution is free. This includes support with application form for academic institutions and advice for student finance; interview and entrance test preparation.
Most popular courses are available in Manchester and Birmingham, as well as London. Our university partners are spread all across the UK, so please get in touch to confirm the locations available for any course you are interested in.
Yes. We offer support for the application process, and provide advice on any queries that may arise. If you have any questions regarding student finance, please get in touch.

Most academic institutions require evidence of English language ability. However, the standard of English required, and the type of evidence accepted will vary depending on the institution. Please get in touch to find out whether you meet the required standard, and have the right evidence for your preferred course.

Yes. Our services are open and never end at a certain point. Lion Heart Education Service will ensure that the services, and help will be continued even after enrolment, of course, in the UK if needed. We can provide additional advice, and guidelines to students who ask for our advice after enrolment.
What makes us different is that we are passionate about turning your dreams into reality. It is our greatest motivation, and inspiration. The reason why we are here. We say believe in your dreams, because we do! Here in the UK, you may face many barriers to academic and professional success. Perhaps lower-level English skills, complicated university application forms, or lack of knowledge about what is available. We can assure you that we created this exceptional education service, specifically to remove any, and all barriers that may be standing in your way.